Regular high-quality sleep is highly important for maintaining your health and happiness. Chronic lack of sleep leads to insomnia and this in turn can result in depression and anxiety. Here are 6 killer tips on how to get a good night's sleep and improve your sleep quality.
- Always go to bed at the same time each night. This will program your brain to wind down at the same time. Too late and you will be too tired to sleep well. Too early and you might wake up early and not get back to sleep.
- Have a bedtime routine. Bath then bed can let your brain wind down and prepare you to go to sleep. Parents often do this with children. Why not try it on yourself? The opposite is working and then going straight to bed. This makes it much harder to fall asleep. Your sleep quality also suffers.
- Try valerian or chamomile tea. These are mild sedatives and can help you relax. They are cheap, over-the counter and harmless. They are also not addictive, unlike prescription sleeping tablets.
- Avoid alcohol. Many people believe alcohol aids sleep; it may well help you nod off but it decreases the amount of REM sleep and so you wake up feeling tired. A glass or two might be ok, any more can cause problems.
- Avoid caffeine. Don't have any caffeinated drinks for several hours before bed if you are having trouble sleeping. If you are sensitive it could affect you more than 3 hours later. Check the ingredients in canned and bottled drinks because you might find they have caffeine in them when you weren't expecting it.
- Wear ear plugs. If your partner snores this can result in serious sleep loss as well as resentment and relationship issues as a result. By simply investing in a good pair of ear plugs for sleeping you can avoid these problems.
Sleeping earplugs need to be comfortable and long-lasting. They should also be effective at banishing noise from your ears . They also need to be antibacterial in order that you are well defended against infections. ZenPlugs are ideal because they are all of these things and more.