Tinnitus is a common disorder. It causes a sound to be heard in one's ears when there isn't an external noise source present. Some people describe it as a ringing or buzzing, some as a humming. 'Tinnitus' comes from a Latin origin; the word meaning ringing.
Tinnitus is different from hearing voices in psychosis. Where the sound is perceived to be in the head rather than the ears and it tends to take the form of intermittent voices rather than continuous tones. Causes include;
- Arteriosclerosis. Narrowing of arteries due to furring can cause a whooshing sound to be heard. This occurs if the flow is turbulent in an artery in the vicinity of the ear.
- Otosclerosis. This is stiffening of the joints between the tiny bones in the ear. The cause is unknown.
- Noise-induced hearing loss. This is prevented simply by using ear plugs when you are are exposed to prolonged or high levels of noise. ZenPlugs molded ear plugs from are ideal because they are comfortable and exceptionally good at blocking noise. This is because they are individually molded to your ear canals.
- Menieres' Disease. This is tinnitus with vertigo and deafness.
- Impacted wax. Accumulated hardened wax in the ear or a foreign body such as a pea can cause tinnitus
Ear plugs are very important for preventing noise induced hearing loss. It is truly tragic for an individual to become deaf through noise exposure when the risk can be eliminated by wearing a good pair of ear plugs. ZenPlugs from the ZenPlugs website are spot-on for protecting against deafness from noise. This is because they are formed from high density plastic ideally suited to the attenuation of sound. The antibacterial properties will protect you against the ongoing threat of ear infection.